Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Impressionism

I bought Andrew a calendar for the new year, to start learning about calendars, dates, etc. It happens to be a calendar with paintings by Claude Monet. I thought it would be best if it were something not too distracting, and being an art lover, I wanted to expose him to some fine art.

I was talking to him about the painting, asking what he saw, what was happening in the painting (it was of a snowy road into a village), and I said, what do you think these shapes here are? (houses.)

Andrew: "Those are houses. You know, buildings, and houses."

Me: "Really? They look sort of funny..."

Andrew: "Well, that's because the artist? He didn't really KNOW what a house looked like, he was just drawing them, so it looks funny."

Me: trying really hard not to laugh. I loved that.

1 comment: