Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Resolutions Should be Revisable

So, my New Year's Resolution has already gone the way of the sad, browned hydrangea on my porch.

Evenings, I have been falling asleep with the baby, sitting up talking to my husband, bustling in the kitchen.. anything but sitting in my comfy chair each night, taking deep breaths, reading poetry, writing in my journal.

Yesterday, my dear son asked me, "Mommy, please do things slowly."

From the moment I'm up, I rush a little. Throwing clothes in the washer. Balancing a stack of dishes and a baby. Fixing a lunch, soaking beans, eating breakfast, wearing the baby, and somehow trying to talk to my son.

So this is my new resolution. To please do things slowly. One at a time. To fill a cup with water and watch it twinkle. To push eggs onto my son's plate and delicately steal one, with a wink. To dance with the baby, even though it's the 47th time we've heard this song this morning. To wipe down the table. To appreciate the beauty of our things, our moments.

To do things slowly so my children will do things slowly.

Edited to add: It occurs to me, maybe this is also a meaning of, "What does it profit a man, if he gains the world and loses his own soul." What does it profit me if I get everything done (or at least look like I'm trying to get it all done), and never actually remember doing it? "The tao does nothing, nothing goes undone."

1 comment:

  1. I often find myself thinking I should be cleaning house more instead of spending so much time playing with Calvin. There's got to be a happy medium. (If "happy" can ever be applied to an activity that includes scrubbing toilets.)

    ReplyDelete